Trail : home : Modern Foreign Language - French
Modern Foreign Language - French
MFL French - Curriculum Information|
At St James’ we believe that the teaching of a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils. The focus language taught in school is French and we use the North Tyneside scheme of work which has been adopted by Cumbria LA.
• To foster an interest in language learning by introducing children to another language in
a way that is enjoyable and accessible to all pupils;
• To stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language and creativity in
experimenting with it;
• To support oracy and literacy, and in particular develop speaking and listening skills;
• To help children develop their awareness of cultural similarities and differences;
• To lay the foundations for future language study by pupils;
• To give an extra dimension to teaching and learning across the curriculum.
The French curriculum is split into three units per year group and each unit covers the five strands of; Oracy (speaking and listening), Literacy (reading and writing), Intercultural Understanding, Knowledge about Language and Language Learning Strategies.
BBC Primary Languages French Website|
BBC Primary French Website|